At its special meeting on Monday, the Seward City Council voted to approve funding for the Northeast Harbor Launch Ramp in the amount of $4.4 million. $2.9 million of the total, approximately 75 percent, has been awarded to the city in the form of a grant from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G). Of the remaining 25 percent, the city will appropriate $573,065 from the Parking Fund, which will also loan the Harbor Fund another $733,212.31. The Harbor Fund will provide the remaining $233,905.44 from unspent funds previously allocated for the South Harbor Launch Ramp replacement project.

Harbormaster Norm Regis addressed the council at Monday’s meeting, thanking them for an expedient approval of the funding.

“I want to thank you for allowing me to get this on the special meeting, those two things, because of the time crunch with the contractor,” Regis told the council. “I appreciate you allowing that on there.”

Also at the meeting, the council opened a public hearing for comments on the 2022 operating budget and mill rate, the latter of which will remain unchanged from 2021 at 3.84 mills. A further public hearing will be opened at the City Council’s Dec. 13 regular session, set for 7 p.m. Contact City Clerk Brenda Ballou to sign up for comments at bballou@cityofseward.net or by calling (907) 224-4045.